Director of University Communications
Full-time, 12 monthSalary:
$62,000-$70,000 commensurate with experienceUnion Affiliation:
The University of Montana Western invites applications from qualified individuals interested in providing strategic vision and leadership for University Communications. Our next Director has the opportunity to build upon one of the strongest brands in public higher education. The University of Montana Western is the only public university in the nation offering Experience One, where students engage in experiential learning, taking one course at a time.
Reporting to the Chancellor and serving on the senior leadership team, the Director is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the University’s central communications office and serves as the Chancellor’s primary communications adviser.
The primary purposes of the Department of University Communications are to:
· Assist members of the university community to share information, knowledge, and the UMW story.
· Build support from UMW’s multiple constituencies.
· Strengthen awareness of the University’s heritage and of the success and potential of Experience One.
· Elevate, protect, and promote the UMW brand.
A small team of professionals and students provide a wide range of services: Web, digital and print communications; news and public relations; marketing; and visual media.
· Direct, coordinate and integrate the strategic communications, marketing, and public relations
functions of the university to develop consistent and cohesive messages in support of the
University’s mission and strategic plan.
· Develop and implement communications plans as needed to serve a variety of University purposes.
· Plan, coordinate, and supervise the work of the University Communications team to provide creative,
communications, and public relations services to the university.
· Collaborate with Admissions, the UMW Foundation, and the Alumni Association to support strategic
enrollment management and University advancement.
· Advise the Chancellor and senior leadership regarding internal and external constituency
communications and relations, marketing and communications.
· Represent the University to the press and serve as spokesperson as needed.
· Work with the Chancellor to develop formal written and oral communications.
· Represent the University at various community events.
· Develop a variety of written materials.
· Manage photographic coverage of campus events and special functions; maintain photographic files.
· Oversee and manage the University Communications budget.
· Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, marketing or related field
· Minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in communications, public relations, or a
· Demonstrated leadership, organization, and management competencies
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals and
· Demonstrated success in creating and managing a work climate of collaboration, collegiality and team-
· Strong time management skills, with ability to handle multiple priorities concurrently
· Knowledge of the effective use of social media
· Master’s degree in public relations, communications, marketing or related field
· Experience in communications and public relations in a higher education setting
· Experience with budget management
To apply, submit a letter of application, current vita, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references. To be fully considered, the letter of application must address all of the job qualifications. Send application materials to:
Patti Lake, Payroll and Benefits Supervisor
The University of Montana Western
710 South Atlantic Street
Dillon, MT 59725
Submit electronic application materials to email@example.com
For questions relating to this position contact Hillary Lowell at 406-683-7151 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will be ongoing, but will remain open until the position is filled.
The University & Dillon Area
The University of Montana Western is a dynamic, innovative, undergraduate university with over 60 full-time faculty and 1,500 students. It is located in Dillon, Montana in the scenic Rocky Mountains and has been awarded numerous top national rankings for delivering high quality, affordable education.
Montana Western is the only public four-year college in the nation offering Experience One (X1), experiential learning delivered on the block schedule. Class sizes are small and students take a single course at a time, three hours each day for 18 days, before moving on to the next course. Each course is four credits and four blocks are offered each semester. The block schedule facilitates field and lab work, undergraduate research, study travel, and interdisciplinary teaching. Montana Western’s faculty strongly believe in mentoring and inspiring students, and assisting them in the transition from university life to professional careers.
The University of Montana Western is an integral part of the Dillon Community. With a population of 5,000 people, Dillon is known for outstanding public schools, safe environments, recreational opportunities, and an excellent quality of life.
The University of Montana Western is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from qualified women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities. Qualified candidates may request veterans‚ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. Finalists for this position will be subject to a criminal background investigation.
Click here for a printable version of the job description