skip to main content

WUE (Western Undergraduate Exchange)

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) is a scholarship program in which students in eligible states can receive a scholarship valued at over $10,000 annually. Please click here for more information.

Work Study

Work study is a work program in which a student is employed in an on-campus job and earns a monthly paycheck. Students may work approximately 10 hours per week. Federal work study is awarded to students who demonstrate need via the FAFSA. State work study is awarded to Montana residents and is not based on need. Work study is awarded on a first-come first-serve basis, and funding is limited.



January 1 

Application Process

A single application form is used to award all merit based scholarships raised by the UMW Foundation. Students must apply for scholarship each year. Scholarship awards are awarded for a one year period of time with the exception of the Chancellor’s Leadership Scholarship Award.

All new and returning students are encouraged to apply for scholarships using the University of Montana Western scholarship application.


Award Process

Scholarship awards are made starting in January of each year and recipients are notified in writing.

Scholarship Sources

The UMW Foundation raises scholarship dollars for UMW students. The foundation board is a group of alums, entrepreneurs, business leaders and philanthropists whose mission includes making college accessible to as many students as possible. Their vision is to create scholarship opportunities for all academic disciplines at Montana Western. Individual scholarship donors create scholarships with a wide variety of criteria. Because of the diverse and often unique requirements identified by these donors, we encourage all students, regardless of GPA or academic discipline, to apply for scholarship each year.

View our list of new student scholarships.

View our list of returning student scholarships.

Student Loans

Federal Direct Loans are monies borrowed and paid back. Students and parents may borrow through the Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans and Parent PLUS Loan programs.

State and Federal Grants

Grants, or "gift aid," are monies a student does not have to pay back or earn by working. Grants are awarded based on a family's demonstrated financial need according to the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) results. Grants may include: Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (SEOG), Montana Higher Education Grants (MHEG), Baker Grants and Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH Grant) .