201.10 Posthumous Degree
Date Adopted: 03/20/2017
References: MUS 322.1 (http://mus.edu/borpol/bor300/322-1.pdf)
Issuing Office: Academic Affairs
Approved by: Deb Hedeen
In exceptional circumstances, The University of Montana Western may award degrees posthumously.
The purpose of this policy is to establish procedures for the awarding of a degree posthumously.
To recommend the awarding of a degree posthumously the Registrar will follow these procedures:
• A recommendation will be turned into the Office of the Registrar.
• The Registrar will evaluate the request to determine if the student was enrolled at the time of death,
was in good academic standing, and had completed at least 2/3 of the degree to be awarded or was
otherwise subject to special consideration.
• If the posthumous award is approved, the Registrar will forward the recommendation to the Provost.
• If the posthumous award is approved, the Provost will forward the recommendation to the
• Upon approval of all three above offices, the Office of the Registrar will award the diploma at the next
Commencement ceremony or present it to the student’s family in an appropriate setting.
Diplomas for posthumous degrees will be identical to other degrees awarded in the same manner.
Posthumous awards will not appear on transcripts.
MUS 322.1 (http://mus.edu/borpol/bor300/322-1.pdf
Registrar, Provost/Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Chancellor