Department: Student Affairs
Position: Full-time, permanent with full benefit package
Hourly Rate: $12.50
Union Affiliation: MFPE
Posting Date: July 2021
The Administrative Assistant for the University of Montana Western works under the direction of the Dean of Students. This position requires a friendly welcoming person who can greet those who call or come to the Dean of Students Center with enthusiasm and professionalism. The Dean of Students Center is for students to come for help outside the classroom and find a safe place to express themselves and get the answers they need.
- Maintain a welcoming Dean of Students Center and help students, employees, and parents with the student’s needs.
- Provide frontline screening of students coming to see a counselor.
- Keep records for the Dean of Students.
- Attend staff and committee meetings as needed.
- Communicate the needs of the Dean of Students to other offices on and off campus.
- Must keep information confidential.
- Take notes at various meetings.
- Additional programmatic responsibilities as needed and assigned by the Dean of Students.
- Position requires collaboration as well as independent initiative.
The successful candidate must possess:
- Ability to collaborate successfully with faculty, staff, and students.
- Enthusiasm and passion for university students.
- Desire to provide customer service to all who call or visit the Dean of Students Center.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- The ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
- Maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Have the ability to use computer programs and office equipment to complete job duties and assist in day-to-day department functioning.
- Bachelor’s Degree in any field.
- Experience working in an office setting.
- Familiarity with and commitment to, professional competency, best practices, ethical standards, and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
To apply please complete a professional resume, a letter of application and cover letter specifically addressing the qualifications and duties described above. Also include the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three (3) professional references and a completed and signed State of Montana Job Application (https://www.umwestern.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/State-Application.pdf). Finalists for this position may be subject to a criminal background investigation. Submit application materials to:
The University of Montana Western
710 South Atlantic Street
Dillon, MT 59725
Questions regarding this position should be directed to Nicole Hazelbaker via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 406-683-7900. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The University & Dillon Area
The University of Montana Western is a dynamic, innovative, undergraduate university with over 60 full-time faculty and 1,300 students. It is located in Dillon, Montana in the scenic Rocky Mountains and has been awarded numerous top national rankings for delivering high quality, affordable education.
Montana Western is the only public four-year college in the nation offering Experience One (X1), experiential learning delivered on the block schedule. Class sizes are small and students take a single course at a time, three hours each day for 18 days, before moving on to the next course. Each course is four credits and four blocks are offered each semester. The block schedule facilitates field and lab work, undergraduate research, study travel, and interdisciplinary teaching. Montana Western’s faculty strongly believe in mentoring and inspiring students, and assisting them in the transition from university life to professional careers.
The University of Montana Western is an integral part of the Dillon Community. With a population of 5,000 people, Dillon is known for outstanding public schools, safe environments, recreational opportunities, and an excellent quality of life.
The University of Montana Western is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from qualified women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities. Qualified candidates may request veterans‚ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. Finalists for any position will be subject to a criminal background investigation.