Position: Full-time, 12 month position, full benefits package
Wage: $72,000-$75,000 commensurate with experience
Union Affiliation: None
Posting Date: March 2021
The Director of Information Technology Services (ITS) is responsible for the comprehensive management and leadership of the department of Information and Telecommunications Services (ITS). Additionally, this position is responsible for developing and leading the university in all ITS related functions and services. The position also directly oversees the implementation and support of the Ellucian Banner/Oracle Relational Database Management System and associated web application servers. These systems run on the Linux (RHEL) and Windows Operating Systems, which will also be under the direct control of this position. The Director of ITS also oversees and manages all aspects of UMW’s enterprise level technologies including Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Fusion Middleware, Tomcat, Redhat and any required technologies in support of Banner and its components. This position reports to the Vice Chancellor for Administration & Finance.
- Personnel leadership and management of ITS. This includes facilitating education, cross-training and professional development opportunities for staff.
- Planning and implementation of strategic Information Technology (IT) initiatives on campus and ensuring that IT projects support the strategic goals of the institution.
- Supervising day-to-day operations of existing IT resources to ensure all mission-critical resources, such as the campus network and administrative software systems, are available continuously.
- Expanding existing resources as necessary to meet current and projected needs of faculty, staff and students.
- Developing and implementing the backup, recovery, and cloning of the aforementioned enterprise systems.
- Database & application installation and maintenance according to established best practices.
- Proactively monitoring and optimizing system performance.
- Script and/or automate repeatable tasks across the spectrum of supported products.
- Research and provide information to assist in planning of service requests, implementation steps, corrective actions and upgrade recommendations.
- Document changes to programs, environment settings and system configurations.
- Off hours support of critical applications and infrastructure.
- Defining, modifying and enforcing standards as necessary to ensure purchased hardware is compatible with existing systems.
- Continually analyzing new and emerging technologies to assess their potential benefit to Montana Western.
- Maintaining the campus infrastructure by supervising the acquisition, inventory and deployment of IT-related hardware and software and overseeing the redeployment or recycling of older equipment as it is replaced.
- Oversees and manages all University of Montana Western web servers and their respective content at the direction of the Communications Department and using best industry practices. Including; content management and delivery, load balancing, security management, backups and disaster recovery and up time monitoring and alerts.
Both a bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field with at least seven years of progressively increased responsibility in IT management are required. A master’s degree in computer science or related field or more than seven years of experience will be considered a plus.
Troubleshooting experience in the Oracle and/or Linux environments The successful candidate must be familiar with switched Ethernet environments running TCP/IP, including topology, standards and associated hardware; have strong analytical skills; possess strong interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of individuals with a wide range of technical expertise; and possess a demonstrated familiarity with Linux and Microsoft Windows operating systems, programming and administrative management software. An in-depth education or experience in C, Perl, Oracle or Ellucian Banner will be preferred.
- Banner 9 Application
- Oracle Relational Database 11g and 12c Administration
- Oracle SQL & PL/SQL
- Oracle 11g Fusion Middleware
- Oracle Forms
- Oracle Weblogic & Apache Tomcat
- Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux
To apply: submit a letter of application addressing all of the job qualifications; current resume with names, addresses, and phone numbers of at least three professional references and a State of Montana Employee Application https://w.umwestern.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/State-Application.pdf . Send application materials to:
Payroll & Benefits Supervisor
The University of Montana Western
710 South Atlantic Street
Dillon, MT 59725
Questions regarding this position should be directed to Michael Reid via email @ firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 406-683-7031. Review of applications will begin immediately and remain open until the position is filled.
The University & Dillon Area
The University of Montana Western is a dynamic, innovative, undergraduate university with over 65 full-time faculty and 1,300 students. It is located in Dillon, Montana in the scenic Rocky Mountains and has been awarded numerous top national rankings for delivering high quality, affordable education.
Montana Western is the only public four-year college in the nation offering Experience One (X1), experiential learning delivered on the block schedule. Class sizes are small and students take a single course at a time, three hours each day for 18 days, before moving on to the next course. Each course is four credits and four blocks are offered each semester. The block schedule facilitates field and lab work, undergraduate research, study travel, and interdisciplinary teaching. Montana Western’s faculty strongly believe in mentoring and inspiring students, and assisting them in the transition from university life to professional careers.
The University of Montana Western is an integral part of the Dillon Community. With a population of 5,000 people, Dillon is known for outstanding public schools, safe environments, recreational opportunities, and an excellent quality of life.
The University of Montana Western is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from qualified women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities. Qualified candidates may request veterans‚ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. Finalists for any position will be subject to a criminal background investigation.