Position: Full-time, 12-month position plus complete benefit package
Wage: $18.63 – $26.09 per hour commensurate with experience
Union Affiliation: MFPE
Posting Date: October 2021
The System Administrator II position is responsible for the overall efficiency and secure use of networks and server operating systems to include hardware and software administration. This is done through long-range planning; design; evaluation; and implementation of network and server systems; new product evaluation and implementation; performance and operational readiness evaluations; systems failure analysis and resolution; capacity planning; and development of technical procedures and policies. This position will also entail providing high-level technical consultation with various individuals and departments campus wide.
This position leads the design, development and maintenance of all phases of an advanced Microsoft server suite environment. This includes the hardware platforms, operating systems, secure network environment, system management tools, and software applications. This position also contributes to the support of enterprise software applications that are mission critical to the University of Montana Western administration, faculty, staff and students.
Some of the specific duties that are required for this position include items such as:
- Maintain the physical and virtual environments on Dell service nodes as well as coordinate the environment of campus controlled networked devices.
- Manage and maintain various virtual machines in a Hyper-V environment.
- Manage Active Directory Domain and Federated Services, print service, security management, virus protection, MS 365 synchronization and a host of legacy servers.
- Perform updates on Windows Server OS as well as updates on software running on these nodes.
- Manage UM Westerns Xerox MFP printers to include purchase, planning and maintenance in association with various vendors.
- Various other day to day operations to insure a safe and secure network and server environment for the campus staff, faculty and students.
The Network and System Administrator II is expected to have a good understanding of Microsoft operating systems and services as well as modern networking and security in a Microsoft server environment. The following skills are required:
- The knowledge and ability to install, configure, upgrade, and maintain physical and virtual servers in a Hyper-V environment, to occasionally include Linux OS. Including Windows server administration with all modern versions of Windows server. General Windows server expertise is expected.
- The knowledge and ability to manage and maintain Active Directory Federated Services (ADFS).
- Solid networking experience and knowledge as it pertains to LAN and WAN environments and VPN access.
- Knowledge in the use of Windows Update Service and updating features of peripheral environments such as print services, antivirus, etc.
- Ability to run and maintain a recovery schema including backups, redundancy, and other disaster recovery procedures.
- High level of professionalism and the ability to communicate clearly with technical and non-technical individuals.
The following knowledge and skills are not required, but preferred.
- MCSA certification, all Windows operating systems.
- Linux (RHEL) experience to include scripting and configuration.
- Experience and knowledge of AWS, Ellucian, and Oracle products.
- Knowledge of procurement and installation of security certificates in multiple environments.
To apply, please complete a State of Montana Job Application and a letter of application specifically addressing the qualifications and duties described above. Finalists for this position may be subject to a criminal background investigation. Also include the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three (3) professional references. Submit application materials to:
Administration and Finance
The University of Montana Western
710 South Atlantic Street
Dillon, MT 59725
Questions regarding this position should be directed to Mel Ewing via email @ firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 406-683-7146.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The University & Dillon Area
The University of Montana Western is a dynamic, innovative, undergraduate university with over 65 full-time faculty and 1,300 students. It is located in Dillon, Montana in the scenic Rocky Mountains and has been awarded numerous top national rankings for delivering high quality, affordable education.
Montana Western is the only public four-year college in the nation offering Experience One (X1), experiential learning delivered on the block schedule. Class sizes are small and students take a single course at a time, three hours each day for 18 days, before moving on to the next course. Each course is four credits and four blocks are offered each semester. The block schedule facilitates field and lab work, undergraduate research, study travel, and interdisciplinary teaching. Montana Western’s faculty strongly believe in mentoring and inspiring students, and assisting them in the transition from university life to professional careers.
The University of Montana Western is an integral part of the Dillon Community. With a population of 5,000 people, Dillon is known for outstanding public schools, safe environments, recreational opportunities, and an excellent quality of life.
The University of Montana Western is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from qualified women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities. Qualified candidates may request veterans‚ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. Finalists for any position will be subject to a criminal background investigation.