University of Montana Western logo.
Apply Visit More Info



You are an international student if you are coming to Montana Western from outside of the United States of America and are not a U.S. citizen. Montana Western welcomes true freshmen, transfer and non-traditional international students.

To apply for international admission:

  1. Submit a completed UMW Application for Admission (download the printable application, or apply online here).
  2. Submit a $30 non-refundable application fee. This fee must be paid in U.S. currency.
  3. Submit a completed supplemental international student application.
  4. If you are a citizen of a country OTHER than Australia, Canada, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Scotland or Wales, you are required to certify your English speaking proficiency by providing an official score report of a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Your score must show either a 70 iBT or a 525 on PBT. Applicants may also submit official score reports with a 440 on the SAT Writing Section or an 18 on the Combined English/Writing section of the ACT.
  5. International student applicants must send to UMW a certified, translated copy of secondary school transcripts or the equivalent. Any college or upper-level transcripts should also be sent. International students who have attended institutions outside the U.S. or Canada must request an evaluation of Academic Credentials from Educational Credential Evaluators. There is a fee associated with this evaluation. Evaluations of credit may not reflect actual college credits accepted by Montana Western. Allow eight to 12 weeks for organizations to complete the evaluation process.
  6. All international applicants must submit a Certification of Finances from a bank or sponsor verifying that adequate financial resources are available to pay the estimated expenses for the first year of school. Download a printable version of the Certification of Finances form.
  7. International students must provide a physician-validated record showing immunization for diphtheria, tetanus and polio as well as two doses of measles, mumps and rubella, and a recent skin test for tuberculosis.

Note: When admitted you will receive a notification from the admissions office and an I-20 form needed to obtain a F-1 student visa.