University of Montana Western logo.
Apply Visit More Info



You are a transfer student if you have graduated from high school and have attempted 12 or more semester credits at another regionally accredited college or university. Additionally, students who have already earned a bachelor’s degree pursing a second degree or certification would need to complete the transfer student admissions process.

If you wish to transfer to Montana Western, you must be eligible to return to any/all institutions previously attended. You must also provide official transcripts verifying your academic record is in good standing at your previous college or university.

Transfer students who recently attended a Montana University System school may request a file transmittal be sent from that institution to Montana Western. This file transmittal request form can be used in lieu of a new application. The fee for a file transmittal is $8 paid to the school sending the file.

To apply, transfer students must submit all of the following:

  • UMW Application for Admission (download the printable application, or apply online here).
  • Out of state applications require a $30 non-refundable processing fee.
  • Official transcripts from all colleges previously attended. A transcript is not considered “official” unless it is of current date, has no in-progress work listed, and is received directly from the issuing institution.
  • Immunization records (two doses of Measles, Mumps, Rubella).

After receiving your application and transcripts, we will assess your transfer of credits, provide documentation of non-transferable credits, and advise you in course choices.