Dear Montana Western Students, Faculty and Staff,
We wanted to remind you that there are counseling services and mental health resources available during the winter break. We understand this can be an isolating and stressful time, and we invite you to please reach out if you need to talk to someone.
Below you will find information on our Student Counseling Services and a new statewide Crisis Counseling Hotline currently available to all faculty, students, and staff.
Student Counseling Services (both in person and online):
Student Counseling Services consist of two-master’s level, fully licensed, clinical mental health counselors, Jerry Girard and Heidi Peterson. Heidi and Jerry offer both in-office and remote eCounseling services to both on campus and distance learning students.
Student Counseling Services is located in the Dean of Students Center at 528 Poindexter Street, across from the Student Union Building. They are open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., year-round.
To schedule an appointment:
- Call Student Affairs Associate Cecelia Kuskie at (406) 683-7388, or email [email protected]
- Call Counselor Jerry Girard at (406) 683-7181, or email [email protected]
- Call Counselor Heidi Peterson at (406) 683-7180, or email [email protected]
You may ask to meet with Jerry or Heidi specifically, and emergencies will be seen upon walk-in.
For an after-hours emergency, please call 911 or go to the Barrett Hospital emergency room located at 600 State Hwy 91 S., Dillon, Mont.
All counseling sessions follow the campus COVID-19 safety protocols.
New Crisis Counseling Hotline:
In addition to Student Counseling Services, all students, faculty, and staff in need of crisis counseling can call 1-877-503-0833 to receive free and confidential counseling services from trained crisis counselors Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. through the state-wide Crisis Counseling Hotline.
Other mental health resources that are available include:
- Montana Crisis Text Line: available 24/7 by texting MT to 741 741
- Montana Suicide Prevention Lifeline: available 24/7 at 800-273-TALK (8255)
- Montana Warmline: available Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday noon to 9 p.m. at 877-688-3377
- Thrive by Waypoint Health: an online cognitive behavioral therapy for those actively working to manage anxiety and stress, is available at https://thriveformontana.com/.For more information about Montana Western Student Counseling Services, please visit the UMW website. Click here for more information about the Crisis Counseling Hotline.