Sent on Behalf of the Financial Aid Office: Final Opportunity for CARES Act Funds Application for Spring 2020 Students
Guidelines to receive CARES Act funds have changed which should allow more students to apply for emergency assistance. Students no longer need to be Title IV eligible to receive funds but need to be a U.S. citizen.
The only way that Montana Western can verify if a student is a U.S. citizen is if they submit a FAFSA. Students that have not completed a FAFSA to Montana Western could be eligible to receive funds if you submit a FAFSA prior to submitting the COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Form. Simply go to https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa and click on “Start Here.” Submit your FAFSA for the 2019-2020 academic year and enter Montana Western’s School Code of 002537. Once you have submitted your FAFSA you can submit the online form to request emergency assistance.
If you have submitted a 2019-2020 FAFSA and have not submitted a form yet, we strongly encourage you to do so as you could receive a lump sum of up to $800. The funding is limited and will be awarded based on the level of student need. This will be your last opportunity to apply for emergency assistance for the spring 2020 semester.
You can submit an online form to request funds by clicking on the link below:
Eligibility Requirements Per Federal Regulations:
- Have completed FAFSA for 2019-2020
- Have a declared major that is eligible for financial aid
- Be enrolled in Spring 2020 for at least 1 credit hour on or after March 23
- Making Satisfactory Academic Progress during Spring 2020
- Be a citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Completed at least one credit hour in Spring 2020 with a grade of D or better
Ineligible Students Per Federal Regulations:
- Students enrolled in a completely online program
- Students in default of federal student loans
- Students who have already received a refund for housing and a meal plan will only be considered for educational-related expenses submitted on the online form
Please submit this form as soon as possible if you have been financially impacted due to the COVID-19 pandemic as funds are limited. If you have questions about the CARES Act or your eligibility, please contact Louise Driver, Director of Financial Aid, at [email protected] or 406-683-7893.