Director of Business Services/Controller
Department: Administration and Finance
Position: Full-time, 12-month position with complete benefit package
Salary: $70,000-$75,000 commensurate with experience
Union Affiliation: None
Posting Date: June 2022
The University seeks a committed and enthusiastic leader to inspire and direct the business/accounting operations at Montana Western. Working with the Vice Chancellor of Administration and Finance, this position serves as the chief accounting officer and is responsible for establishing sound fiscal and business policies, procedures, internal controls and reporting systems for the institution in accordance with Federal, State, and Institutional regulations. The Director is also responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the following departments/operations; procurement, general accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, travel, grants, treasury, budget, Mail Room, and Bookstore. The Director will ensure that Montana Western continues to fulfill its mission in service to its students and the community through responsible fiscal management by ensuring adherence to nationally recognized best practices, GASB, NACUBO, and related state policies and procedures.
Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
- Providing oversight for proper accounting and safeguarding of the University’s assets and recording the University’s liabilities.
- Recording and reporting all financial activity for the University funds in accordance with applicable policies and regulations.
- Providing fiscal information to outside agencies, organizations or individuals as requested or required by law.
- Facilitating and managing billing, fee collection and aid disbursement for student registration.
- Prepare the University’s annual financial statements, in cooperation with the University of Montana Business Office as required by GASB and NACUBO.
- Preparing a variety of annual operational and financial reports.
- Assisting a diverse population of students, faculty, and campus departments in obtaining fiscal information.
- Assist in ongoing development of policies and procedures for business operations.
- Responsible for all audit coordination at the campus level and ensuring Montana Western is following regulatory bodies.
- Oversee the operation and control of the Ellucian/BANNER finance module and that all authorizations and controls are appropriate and up to date.
- Provide technical and financial support to the staff and work closely with campus departments.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise and evaluate staff.
- Manage department budget.
- Interact effectively with all campus departments and participates as part of the campus management team.
The minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline or a minimum of five (5) years progressively responsible professional experience leading a complex financial services organization or equivalent education and experience is required.
- Advanced understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and audit practices.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals at all levels.
- Professional written, verbal and listening communication skills.
- Ability to read, comprehend and interpret complex federal and state regulations and apply them appropriately and consistently.
- Demonstrated skill in effectively managing employees and financial resources.
- Problem-solving, conflict resolution and negotiation skills needed to resolve complex situations.
- Highly effective decision-making skills.
- Advanced analytical skills.
- Effective strategic planning and implementation skills.
- Ability to develop effective teams.
- Ability to develop financial policies, procedures, internal controls, and reporting systems.
- Knowledge of and experience with financial reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively utilize databases, word-processing, spreadsheets and enterprise financial systems.
- Ability to communicate throughout the organization with effective interaction across departmental boundaries.
CPA or CMA is preferred. Preferred qualifications also include experience in governmental fund accounting, in higher education, and with computerized accounting systems-Banner experience is preferred.
Review of applications will begin immediately, but will remain open until the position is filled. Apply online at https://bit.ly/3445Director
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
The University & Dillon Area
The University of Montana Western is a dynamic, innovative, undergraduate university with over 65 full-time faculty and 1,300 students. It is located in Dillon, Montana in the scenic Rocky Mountains and has been awarded numerous top national rankings for delivering high quality, affordable education.
Montana Western is the only public four-year college in the nation offering Experience One (X1), experiential learning delivered on the block schedule. Class sizes are small and students take a single course at a time, three hours each day for 18 days, before moving on to the next course. Each course is four credits and four blocks are offered each semester. The block schedule facilitates field and lab work, undergraduate research, study travel, and interdisciplinary teaching. Montana Western’s faculty strongly believe in mentoring and inspiring students, and assisting them in the transition from university life to professional careers.
The University of Montana Western is an integral part of the Dillon Community. With a population of 5,000 people, Dillon is known for outstanding public schools, safe environments, recreational opportunities, and an excellent quality of life.
The University of Montana Western is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from qualified women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities. Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran’s Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law.
References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UMW may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UMW, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).