Experiential Learning, Affordable Pricing
Financial Aid / Financial Aid Options
Here’s how it works: You take a single course at a time, three hours each day for 18 days before moving on to the next. Taking four courses or “blocks” during the semester, you’ll earn the same amount of credit as under traditional multiple class systems.
Experience One (X1) engages students and faculty in actively exploring the knowledge, purposes, and practices in every field of study.
Financial Aid at the University of Montana Western is committed to upholding the academic mission of the university. It is the goal of the Financial Aid Staff to provide students with the assistance necessary to allow them to fund their education.
If you have any questions along the way, please email the Financial Aid Staff at [email protected] or call us at (866) 869-6668. We’re here to help!
How We Can Help
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form to apply for financial aid for college or graduate school.
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
1. Fill out a FAFSA online at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa. The Priority Deadline for timely processing is December 1st before the start of the new aid year. In addition to applying for financial aid, you should submit your online application for admission to Montana Western if you haven’t already.
2. Put Montana Western’s Title IV School Code Number 002537 on your FAFSA.
3. Electronically sign and submit your FAFSA and it will be sent to our Financial Aid Office.
4. When we receive your processed FAFSA we will send you an email containing any additional forms your file requires. Students can also check DAWGS for additional paperwork requirements. Complete any and all paperwork requests in a timely manner- we will not begin to process your aid until we receive the completed forms. If you delay, your aid will be delayed.
Processing and Verification
5. Once your paperwork is completed, we will process your aid. Some student files are selected for verification by the Department of Education and are audited by the Financial Aid Office.
View your DAWGS account to determine if you have any required documents needing to be submitted. You can view this by following these links: Financial Aid-Eligibility-Select Award Year. Your documents will be flagged as “Required” or “Satisfied”.
Fully processing your financial aid will take several weeks (6-10 depending on volume) to complete. We appreciate your patience, it is vital that your FAFSA and other paperwork are thoroughly reviewed.
6. When your aid is processed, you will receive an e-mail notifying you that your award letter is ready to view and sign online in Dawgs. New students will need to check their personal email for the notification until they are registered as that is when their school email will become active. Returning students will receive the email on their Montana Western email.
Additional Funding Options
7. If the aid you receive does not cover all of your college costs, please contact the Financial Aid Office for additional funding options including scholarship application opportunities.
Importance of Timely Applications
If you have not received and signed an award letter before school starts, you will be required to enroll in the deferred payment plan and make scheduled payments until aid can be processed. Students may be reimbursed once the aid process is complete if their account shows a credit balance after aid is posted.
We advise that you consider this and apply for financial aid early so that it will be processed by the beginning of August.
UMW Scholarship Application
PRIORITY DEADLINE for the UMW Scholarship Application is January 15, 2023. Awards will be granted by mid-April.
* * * Students must submit an application for admission before they will be able to apply for scholarships. * * *
Many of the scholarships require the Free Applicaton for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility. Complete your FAFSA as soon as possible as of October 1 each year.
Reach Higher Montanahelps students strategically pursue their educational opportunities. Stay on top of education news, scholarship information, tips and more.
Federal Student Aid is a federal website full of scholarship, grants and other great resources to keep you and your family informed from beginning to graduation.
Montana System Scholarship Search Tool
U. S. Dept of Labor Search Tool
Additional Reach Higher Montana Scholarship Searches
Montana University System Scholarships
Private Scholarship Search Resources & Other Important Information
- University HQ: How to Pay for College
- Federal Student Aid: Checklists for Academic and Financial Preparation
- Federal Student Aid: Finding and Applying for Scholarships
- FinAid: Scholarships
- Fastweb: Scholarships
- Private Scholarship Searches: