Welcome! Please follow these steps to get started and complete your financial aid application.
If you have any questions along the way, please email at [email protected] or call us at (866) 869-6668 or 406-683-7511. We are here to help!
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
1. Fill out a FAFSA online at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa. The Priority Deadline for timely processing is December 1st before the start of the new aid year. In addition to applying for financial aid, you should submit your online application for admission to Montana Western if you haven’t already.
2. Put Montana Western’s Title IV School Code Number 002537 on your FAFSA.
3. Electronically sign and submit your FAFSA and it will be sent to our Financial Aid Office.
4. When we receive your processed FAFSA we will send you an email containing any additional forms your file requires. Students can also check DAWGS for additional paperwork requirements. Complete any and all paperwork requests in a timely manner- we will not begin to process your aid until we receive the completed forms. If you delay, your aid will be delayed.
Processing and Verification
5. Once your paperwork is completed, we will process your aid. Some student files are selected for verification by the Department of Education and are audited by the Financial Aid Office.
View your DAWGS account to determine if you have any required documents needing to be submitted. You can view this by following these links: Financial Aid-Eligibility-Select Award Year. Your documents will be flagged as “Required” or “Satisfied”.
Fully processing your financial aid will take several weeks (6-10 depending on volume) to complete. We appreciate your patience, it is vital that your FAFSA and other paperwork are thoroughly reviewed.
6. When your aid is processed, you will receive an e-mail notifying you that your award notification is ready to view and sign online in Dawgs. Students will receive an email notification on their Montana Western email.
Additional Funding Options
7. If the aid you receive does not cover all of your college costs, please contact the Financial Aid Office for additional funding options including scholarship application opportunities.
Importance of Timely Applications
If you have not received and signed an award notification before school starts, you will be required to enroll in the deferred payment contract and make scheduled payments until aid can be processed. Students may be reimbursed once the aid process is complete if their account shows a credit balance after aid is posted.
We advise that you apply for financial aid early so that it will be processed by the beginning of August.