Fourteen Montana college and university students were recently honored by the Governor’s Office of Community Service and Campus Compact board for their volunteer work. Montana college students invest time, energy and passion into their communities; this award recognizes the civic contributions students make all year long.
Emily Engen, a senior majoring in English, has been an active member of Montana Western’s campus community for the past four years, as well as in her home community of Fort Benton. She has helped write, direct and produce two youth play productions for children of all ages and serves as the director of summer reading at the Chouteau County Library, where she hosts crafting workshops, story time, and games for an average of fifty children every week.
Engen also plays the clarinet in Fort Benton’s Community Band each summer. On-campus, she has supported fellow students in many ways, including serving as a writing tutor in the UMW Learning Center for five semesters and as a mentor for incoming freshmen as part of Montana Western’s First-Year Experience program.
She is also an active member of Montana Western’s Honors Program and has served as Vice President of the Honors Student Association for the past three years. In addition, she has presented her work at two regional honors
2022 Montana Student Volunteer Award Winners:
- University of Montana Western | Emily Engen
- Blackfeet Community College | Tyler Brown
- Aaniiih Nakoda College | Xavier Hawley
- Flathead Valley Community College | Savannah Phillipson and Kylee Dougherty
- Fort Peck Community College | Dusti Marottek
- Great Falls College Montana State University | Hannah Johnson
- Miles City Community College | Laurel Bartos
- Montana State University Billings | Jessica Tiry
- Montana Technological University | Baylie Phillips
- Dawson Community College | Robert Franks Peterson
- The University of Montana Missoula| Mark Spring
- Salish Kootenai College | Courtney Mitchell
- Montana State University | Isabelle Cuthbertson
For more information about the Montana Student Volunteer Award, please visit mtcompact.org and serve.mt.gov.