Learning Center manager Susan White is excited to see the increase in student involvement.
“It’s really great to see so many students using the Learning Center’s services, and I think the reason that we are is beacuse more people know about the free benefits we are offering students. Between the Bulldog Bound presentations, the new TRIO Bridge program, and the classroom visits by the tutors, students seem to be more familiar with the Learning Center.”
The Learning Center is a free resource available for UMW students offering peer tutoring services in general education classes and upper-division coursework.
The Learning Center provides:
- Friendly, helpful tutoring services and a comfortable place to study
- Computer workstations and resource materials
Tutors at the center assist students with:
- Understanding of subject content matter
- Strengthening writing and revision skills
- Improving organization and study habits
- Effective writing techniques and paper citations
With 18 tutors working in the center, students can seek help no matter their major or area of study. Students can meet with tutors during their regular scheduled hours or book an appointment by phone or online to ensure the resources they need will be available.
Learning Center tutors Josh Jessop and Adrianna Pittman also attribute the success to the peer-led approach that the center uses.
“Because all the tutors are students and peers themselves, not only does it spread via word of mouth, but I feel that students are more comfortable seeking help when they need it,” Pittman said.
“A lot of the time students feel embarrassed when they’re struggling to grasp a concept or subject, but when you provide a space like the Learning Center students realize that they’re not the only ones and that it’s okay to have some help,” Jessop added.
In addition to tutoring, the Learning Center also provides career services for all students.
Career Services assists students with:
- Finding employment throughout their collegiate careers and after graduation
- Offering guidance to students and alumni in major and career exploration
- Providing career interests inventories and job search support
- Cover letter development, interview skills, building a portfolio, and job applications
The Learning Center hours run 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday with additional hours from 7:00 p.m-9:00 p.m. Sunday-Thursday. All students are welcome to stop by during tutor hours or can call 406-683-7200 to schedule an appointment. Students can also schedule an appointment online and find more information on the Learning Center’s webpage.