Guide to Returning to Campus After Break
The spring semester will begin on Monday, January 11, 2021. The University will be offering in person and online classes to students. We will continue following all the precautions from the fall semester to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
- Face masks are required on campus.
- Social distancing will be observed in classrooms and around campus.
- Wash your hands often and sanitize surrounding areas as much as possible.
- Monitor your own health and stay home when you are sick.
- If you develop any COVID-19 symptoms, call your healthcare provider immediately for further instruction.
Although vaccines are being distributed across the nation, remember that supplies are limited. It is still unknown when the vaccine will be available to everyone. For now, state and federal officials will determine who will receive the vaccine first.
To minimize the spread of the virus until vaccines are available for everyone, its important that we continue practicing our established COVID-19 precautions. Any new information pertaining to vaccines will be sent out to the university community when it becomes available.
There is not yet an answer as to how long a person is immune to the virus once exposed. A person who has had COVID-19 can still spread it to others without knowing it.
If you have already had COVID-19, please be respectful to others and continue to wear your mask, social distance, and wash your hands often.
FREE Symptomatic Rapid Testing for Students
Montana Western will continue to offer FREE symptomatic rapid testing for students starting January 11. Students can get tested Monday through Friday from 11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. in the garage of the Dean of Students Center. If you are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms, please call (406) 683-7388 to schedule an appointment.
Health and Safety
Self-Quarantine Before Returning to Campus Reminder:
Students are encouraged to complete a precautionary self-quarantine immediately before returning to campus and to monitor their health daily (for as many days before returning to campus as possible). Students should only return to campus if they are symptom-free. If symptoms appear, students should seek COVID-19 testing and delay their return to UMW. Should a student need to delay their return to campus due to COVID-19, they should notify their instructor to arrange remote coursework/online support until they can safely join the class in person.
Self Quarantine Tips:
- Stay home unless you must leave for groceries, medicine, or health care.
- Do your best to keep away from others, including members of your household. Wear a mask if possible.
- Use a separate bedroom and bathroom if you can.
- Don’t share utensils, plates, cups, etc.
- Clean and disinfect high traffic areas daily.
- Wash your hands often.
- Isolate yourself while traveling back to UMW.
- Monitor your own health and if you develop any COVID-19 symptoms, call your healthcare provider immediately.
- Only return to campus if you are symptom free.
Additionally, students are encouraged to obtain a COVID-19 test before returning to campus, regardless of whether they have symptoms (if asymptomatic testing is available in your area). If the test result is positive, students should delay their return, quarantining or isolating as directed by health care professionals.
Please contact the Dean of Students, Nicole Hazelbaker, at 406-683-7900 or email [email protected] if you have any questions.
General travel tips:
- Wear a mask on public transportation, such as trains, buses, or airplanes.
- Stay 6 feet from anyone who is not part of your household.
- Wash your hands often and sanitize your surrounding surfaces.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
Healthy Bulldog Kit
Students can pick up a free healthy Bulldog kit in the Bulldog Life Office in the basement of the Student Union Building. This kit includes hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes, and a cloth face mask.
Move in for returning students begins Friday, January 8th, 2021. New students can move in on Saturday, January 9th, 2021. Both new and returning students need to schedule a time to return to the dorms. To schedule a time, contact Residence Life at 406-683-7565.
- Students will need to stop by the Bulldog Life Office to pick up their room, building, and mailbox keys if they were dropped off at the end of the semester.
- Once students are moved into the dorms, off campus visitors are not permitted in the residential facilities. Minimal family members may assist with moving into the dorms (two or fewer preferred).
- Masks must be worn upon entering the residential buildings and while in the public areas of the residential halls including hallways, lounges and bathrooms.
Additional UMW COVID-19 Information: