Date Adopted: 8/26/1988
Date Revised: 04/16/2015
Issuing Office: Administration and Finance
Approved By: Susan Briggs
The University of Montana Western allows campus and community advertising within certain guidelines.
The purpose of this policy is to provide guidelines for signs and advertising to insure an attractive campus.
Posters and signs should not exceed 8½ x11”, with the exception of commercially produced posters.
Signs are restricted to designated bulletin boards located in specific areas of campus: Main Hall, Short Center, Block Hall (1st floor), SUB, Dining Services, PE Complex (1st floor), IT-Woods, and the residence halls.
The posting of signs, etc., on doors, windows, stair railings, walls, marquees, and buildings is prohibited.
Approval to Post
There are three types of designated bulletin boards, with signs indicating the designated use.
- Departmental bulletin boards are for a specific department’s use only.
- Campus bulletin boards are limited to use by campus groups.
- Public bulletin boards are provided for any non-campus advertising.
Posting of signs or advertising on public bulletin boards must have prior approval of the ASUMW Office Manager.
- Other bulletin boards may be under the control of other campus personnel and may need their approval:
- PE Complex – Facility Supervisor
- Residence Halls – Student Life Office
- Student Union Building – Student Activities Coordinator
- Dining Service – Dining Services Director
- Main Hall – Designated personnel
- Short Center – Designated personnel
- IT-Woods – Designated personnel
- Block Hall – Designated personnel
Removal of Signs
Signs must be removed by the sponsoring party within two days following the event.
The marquee located in front of the Student Union Building is to be used to advertise on-campus activities sponsored by student organizations, academic departments, and the institution as a whole. The ASUMW Office Manager coordinates the posting of these announcements.
Authority and References
Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance/Student Affairs, Dean of Students, Student Activities Coordinator, Designated Building Personnel