Date Adopted: 8/26/1988
Date Revised: 9/27/2017
References: WMC Policy 300.6
Issuing Office: Chancellor
Approved By: Beth Weatherby
This policy establishes and defines the University of Montana Western Athletic Committee.
The University of Montana Western Athletic Committee is not a policy making body, but is advisory in nature. This advisory function, executed through the Athletic Director, applies to the Athletic Department and all of its members, including all intercollegiate teams sanctioned by the University. The purpose of this committee is to comply with association bylaws in support of student-athletes and the athletic program at UMW.
- Act as an advisory body to the Athletic Director and Chancellor on matters related to the athletic program.
- Per NAIA bylaws, prepare and update “a clear statement of the aims and objectives of its intercollegiate program and publish it in the institutional catalog”.
- Advise the Athletic Director in the interpretation and communication of all national association rules and policies governing the University of Montana Western student-athletes, intercollegiate teams, and the athletic department.
- Assist the Athletic Director in the promotion of good sportsmanship at all levels and aid in promotion of the NAIA Champions of Character program and similar programs of the NIRA.
- Advise and assist the Athletic Director in development and enforcement of UMW polices pertaining to athletics.
- The functions of the Faculty Athletic Representative are outlined in the Frontier Conference and NAIA bylaws.
Frontier Conference and national association bylaws
Athletic Director, Chancellor, Faculty Athletic Representative