Date Adopted: 04/20/2009
References: MCA 39-2-215, -216, -217
Issuing Office: Administration and Finance
Approved By: Susan Briggs
The University of Montana Western supports and encourages women who wish to breastfeed or express milk to do so in any space that they are most comfortable in, and has also adopted the following procedure to provide nursing mothers with adequate space to breastfeed or express milk.
The University of Montana Western is an equal employment opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination of employees who request accommodation under this policy. An employee who believes she has been subjected to discrimination under this policy should contact the UMW Human Resources Office.
- Rest break means one 15-minute break for each four hours of work. Rest breaks are considered part of the normal work day.
- Adequate space means a room or area with adequate facilities.
The following procedures apply:
- Upon request of an employee, UMW shall make reasonable efforts to provide adequate space for the employee to breastfeed or express milk. An employee shall provide her supervisor with advance notice to allow ample time to secure the space.
- The space shall:
- provide privacy, lighting, and electrical outlets for related equipment;
- be in close proximity to the work area; and
- be readily available during the term in which the employee needs the space for breastfeeding or expressing milk.
- The employee shall, if possible, coordinate nursing or pumping with her scheduled rest breaks. If it is not possible to use the scheduled break, the supervisor and employee will establish a mutually agreeable schedule. The supervisor shall make a reasonable adjustment to the number and length of rest breaks, if necessary, to minimize disruption to University operations.
- Supervisors are encouraged to provide storage facilities for breast milk upon the employee’s request.
- While conducting UMW business, a nursing infant may be a passenger in a state vehicle, in accordance with ARM 2.6.204(1)(b)(v).
MCA 39-2-215, -216, -217
Wellness Director, Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance or delegee, Supervisors