University of Montana Western logo.
Apply Visit More Info

Transfer Students

Official transcripts must be submitted to the Admissions office in a sealed envelope from the transfer institution. If the envelope is opened, the transcripts are no longer considered official, and must be ordered again.

Once the Admissions office has received your official transcripts we then route them through the Registrar’s office. These transcripts may include:

  • High School Dual Credit on a college transcript
  • Advanced Placement scores from College Board
  • CLEP scores from College Board
  • Institutional college level courses from an accredited institution
  • Military credits

Each successfully completed course is reviewed and applied accordingly towards an equivalent required course for the degree. If there is no equivalent course, that course will be counted as an elective, and the credits earned are used in the cumulative total.

Students who complete courses at any other institution must submit official transcripts for evaluation in order to be counted towards degree completion.

Courses and their equivalents will also show on your Unofficial Transcripts in DAWGS. Courses and their equivalents will also show on your unofficial transcripts in DAWGS and DegreeWorks

International Transcripts

International transcripts must be submitted to a foreign credential evaluation service, before being considered for transfer.  Below is the contact information for these services.

ECE (Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.)

P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI  53203-3470
Fax: 414-289-3411 (download applications for evaluation)

Office of International Education Services

Phone: 202-293-9161
Fax: 202-872-8857

Thinking about transferring to UMW?

Students who are considering transfer to Montana Western may obtain an unofficial evaluation based on transcripts submitted directly from the student (unofficial copies are fine) to an academic advisor.  You may contact one of the following advisors to arrange for this evaluation:

Sheynoa Mata’afa

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 406-683-7048

Jenny Fox            

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 406-683-7050

Transferring from UMW to another institution

If you are planning to attend another institution you can request a file transmittal, or order your official transcripts. Contact the Registrar’s office to see which option is best for you.